Jan 16, 2013

Simple Mushroom Masala

The only time I would honestly use the words "cooking" and "passion" in the same line is when I say - "I hate cooking with a passion". That's right... my first blog ever is a food blog and I said that I hate cooking. So, sue me :)

While I like to try different cuisines and generally like food, I do not like to spend 30 minutes preparing something that will be consumed by me in less than 10 minutes. Particularly so, when I am pressed for time.

Because of this sentiment, boxed and frozen food are not taboo for the grown ups , at our home. If my husband goes shopping at the Indian Grocery Store, he is sure to bring home a box or two of these curries. And these have surely come in handy, when I am busy tending to sick kids or when I bring work home or when I am just plain lazy. To my credit, I always insist on fresh, homemade food for the kids.

This recipe is from one of those boxed curries. I liked the flavor and texture of the curry and so, tried to recreate it in my kitchen. I used everything from its ingredients list. Everything that wasn't named in its chemical form, that is. With that list, I set out to create a curry that resembled the form, texture and taste of the original curry. And I should say that I nailed it, after a few tweaks.
Mushroom Masala

So, without further ado, here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
  • Mushrooms, washed and chopped - 1 cup
  • Onion, chopped fine - 1 big
  • Tomatoes, chopped fine - 1/2
  • salt, to taste
  • oil, for sauteing
  • fresh mint - 1 sprig

To grind:
  • Tomatoes - 2 big
  • Dry Red Chilli - 1
  • Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
  • Ginger - 1inch piece
  • Garlic, peeled - 4 cloves
  • Cinnamon stick - 1 inch
  • fennel seeds - 1 tsp
  • cloves - 5 
  • Kasoor Methi - 1 tsp 
Method:
  1. Pat dry the chopped mushrooms and spread it on a kitchen towel.
  2. Load the blender jar with all the "to grind" ingredients, other than tomatoes.
  3. Blend until smooth.
  4. Empty the jar and add tomatoes to the jar.
  5. Blend until the tomatoes are pureed.
  6. In a heavy bottomed pan on medium high heat, add oil for sauteing. Before it starts to smoke, add the mushrooms. Let these cook in oil until the mushrooms have shriveled. Add some salt at this stage.
  7. Also add the chopped onion and stir once. Let these cook for 3-5 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
  8. Now add the tomatoes along with a little salt.
  9. When the tomatoes have cooked but are still firm, add the blended masala and pureed tomatoes.
  10. Taste and add enough salt.
  11. Reduce the heat to medium and stir frequently until the oil floats to the top.
  12. If needed, add some water to make it to your desired consistency. Not more than 1/2 a cup, though.
  13. Bring it to a boil and remove from fire.
  14. Garnish with mint and serve with steaming hot rice or rotis.
Mushroom Masala

Try this at your home and let me know if you like it!

Linking with  Hema's Adugamane, Cook Like a Celebrity Chef event by Food Corner

2 comments:

  1. simple masala,but looks so delicious....
    Thanks a lot for sharing with the event...

    ReplyDelete

Hello, Thanks for visiting and I hope you stay a while! I would love to hear your comments, critiques, suggestions or just a plain "Hi".

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...